"What then are we to say about these things? If God is for us, who is against us?"

Friday, December 9, 2011

Exegetical Tools

Whoa! Let me shift+tab back to my title and give a little clarification. I understand that some people may not recognize the word "exegetical." It's not a common, everyday word, so let me give an informal definition. Exegetical comes from the greek word "exegesis" meaning to interpret. It is usually used in the context of interpreting a text, and in this respect, I mean it to refer to an essential part of a pastor's sermon prep. Think of it as a critical analysis of a Bible text. So what do I mean by exegetical tools? We'll get to that in just a little bit, but first I'd like to tell you all of a wonderful event that I attended last night.

Oratorical Society Debate. That's right. I went to debate #2 last night! The proposition: Systematic Theology at PTS should be taught primarily through the lens of Liberation Theology. I am very good friends with each of the debaters, so I was even more excited! Plus, I'm in the current Systematic Theology class that is being taught through a Liberation Theology lens, so I was also interested in it from this perspective. I must admit, however, that this week has been exceptionally busy with extracurricular activities, so it kind of snuck up on me. Anyway, the debate was really good. Both sides articulated their points very well and both of the arguments were very intriguing. Also, the Q&A section was really thought provoking. The proposition ended up winning--flipping 14 votes to the affirmative. Impressive. Events like this remind me how incredibly blessed I am to be a part of such a wonderful academic and faith community. =)

Exegtical Tools. Ok, good job with the patience! Back to my main point of this blog. If you are ever interested in the process of exegesis, feel free to talk to me or shoot me and email, or even better yet... go bug your pastor! Anyway, for OT we were required to do two formal assignments involving this process and several informal activities during group precepts. Well, during precept the past two weeks, we got to use very professional, serious, big-time pastor, Ph.D student, tenured professor, secretive exegetical tools! Colored pencils! Whooo Hooo! ...wait, what? You mean these exegetical tools are available for everyone to use? Interesting. =) So, yes, we got to use colored pencils during precept. This is actually a simple device that is exponentially helpful when exegeting a passage. You color code things to keep everything straight in your head! So... why would I get so excited about colored pencils (other than the coincidental advent timing where I am always excited)? Well, let me answer this question with a question... have you ever tried interpreting the book of Daniel, Chapter 7? .....go ahead, whip those Bibles out, or simply go to:

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Daniel%207&version=NIV.

Yeah, talk about weird and hard to envision. Colored pencils come in handy. Or, if you are having trouble tracking everything through the text, you could always improvise:


Daniel 7 by yours truly

We all drew our very own version, in a fun last-precept-of-the-semester activity. Who says we don't do very professional things in OT precept or at Seminary? Although, I must say, maybe this horrendous picture might need some exegeting of its own. Feel free to have at it! If nothing else, I hope it gives you all a laugh! 

Well, I had better get back to studying for these darn finals! Or, better yet, I can go "study" at Starbucks while I read awesome Christmas cards from my church & wonderful session liaison! I am incredibly blessed to have an awesome church family! Check this out--package! =)


Blessings and peace to each of you!

No comments:

Post a Comment