"What then are we to say about these things? If God is for us, who is against us?"

Friday, November 11, 2011

Not the sign I am looking for...

Being the dedicated student that I am, I do much research concerning the social lives of others. In this research, I oftentimes see photos posted by others on their own virtual, personal bulletin boards that catch my eye. Sometimes, they even make very interesting statements. Most recently, I stumbled upon the following:


Coincidentally enough, my research on the social well-beings has made a statement about my own eternal well-being. This picture, in my opinion, has far greater implications than perhaps initially intended. By saying: "God Loves You, Unless..." this implies that there are people that God doesn't love. Hmmm... really? Also, "In that case..." tells me that grace is dependent on something else, which is against the very definition of grace itself. Furthermore, "You are going to Hell," is a human statement, not a God statement. Who is anyone to tell anyone else that they are going to hell? Who is in a position to condemn? Christ Jesus.

Perhaps this sign just rubs me the wrong way because it applies directly to me. God doesn't love me, and I'm going to hell? I can't in good conscience agree with those statements. We are told that God is Love. So, I believe that there is no one outside of the reach of such love. And honestly, I wouldn't agree even if I didn't have tattoos.

In the days preceding Advent, there is only one sign I am looking for, and it's certainly not one that promotes this kind of message.

Is it to little for you to weary mortals, that you must weary my God also?
Therefore the Lord himself will give you a sign. 
Look, the young woman is with child and shall bear a son, and shall name him Immanuel.*
Isaiah 7:13-14

I shall continue to post interesting things that I may find in my investigations of the social lives of others.

* in Hebrew:  עִמָּנוּ אֵל

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful! Nothing can separate us from the love of God. Thanks, Ashley!

    ReplyDelete