"What then are we to say about these things? If God is for us, who is against us?"

Saturday, November 12, 2011

The Weeping Prophet

Jeremiah. Hmm. Jeremiah. If you have ever engaged in any kind of non-specific, overall general Bible discussions with me, you are probably well aware that I am absolutely fascinated with the book of Jeremiah. In my opinion, it's difficult not to be. I can go on for ages and ages about the different kinds of features this book has to offer. Now, before I scare too many readers off, I shall restrain myself from doing so, and talk just a little bit about a few of my favorite passages.

Chapter 1: Jeremiah's Call and Commission--I'm just a sucker for call stories. It very closely follows the "typical" structure for a call story in the Bible. Compare to Moses (Exodus 3) and Isaiah (Isaiah 6). 

Chapter 4:23 "I looked on the earth, and lo, it was waste and void." Reference to Genesis 1 and the creation story. Hebrew for "waste and void" is to-hu va-vo-hu ( וָבֹהוּ תֹהוּ ). If I remember correctly, it only shows up together as a clause three times in the entire Old Testament, and quite frankly, we have no idea what it means. It does get translated as "waste and void," though.

Chapter 7:16 "As for you, do not pray for this people, do not raise a cry or prayer on their behalf, and do not intercede with me, for I will not hear you." This passage tells me several things: 1. God was really angry. 2. Jeremiah had a deep love for his country, Judah. 3. The people really screwed up this time. Also: compare to Chapter 11:14.

Chapter 20--holy moley, what a lament! Some argue that this passage is even blasphemous. I, for one, think it's truly authentic. It shows the true humanity, vulnerability, anger, and anguish of Jeremiah. Not to mention, it is terribly beautiful poetry! "...within me there is something like a burning fire shut up in my bones..." He ends with saying that he wished he had never been born. **I just wrote a paper on this particular passage... and loved every minute of it (nerdy, I know).

Chapter 29:10-12 "I will fulfill to you my promise and bring you back to this place. For I know the plans I have for you, says the LORD, plans for your welfare and not for harm, to give you a future with hope. Then when you call upon me and come pray to me, I will hear you. When you search for me, you will find me; if you seek me with all your heart, I will let you find me."

Chapter 31--very important part of Jeremiah. Here, he speaks of the eventual return of the exiles and the new covenant. Some say it is a prophecy referring to the new covenant in the NT, but others would be slightly offended by such a statement. Read it and see what you think, paying special attention to vv. 31-34.

Chapter 32--buy a field? What? Why? The Babylonians and their mighty king Nebuchadrezzar are literally besieging Jerusalem as this is going on! I couldn't think of a worse time to buy a field. BUT, it's what the LORD said to do. So he did it. Faithfully.

Jeremiah isn't organized in complete chronological order, so you may find yourself getting lost within it, and that's fine. Try to keep track of the kings (I know some of them have veeery similar names i.e. Jehoiachin and Jehoiakim) and you'll be fine. 

This book is great. Throughout, you can see the struggles that Jeremiah and God (via Jeremiah) are going through. Jeremiah preaches judgment & repentance, submission, and eventually hope to people who really don't want to hear what he or the LORD have to say. Overall, very enthralling and exciting book, and really important to Israel/Judah's history. Easily my favorite to read in the OT. I would love love love to do a Bible study on it one day.

Stay tuned for my next blog concerning my real-life interaction with a rabbi, Jewish tradition, and a Torah scroll! =)

All the best, friends. 15 days til Advent... yay!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment