"What then are we to say about these things? If God is for us, who is against us?"

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

"How to Avoid Getting Burned at the Stake"

Today was one of those very well balanced days that you wish you could come close to duplicating everyday. Breakfast--speech meeting (with my awesome preaching professor)--gym--chapel--lunch--bookstore--PC(USA) ordination meeting--macy's/old navy--choir practice sit in--dinner--contemporary service where a friend preached an awesome sermon--and now... blogging! Wow, what a day! I must admit, I love Wednesdays--no class, and a lot of time for catching up on things. Plus, it kind of let's me get a good, running head start at Thursday!

Just to touch base on a few key points:

NEPA. Being a native born of Northeastern Pennsylvania means that there are some syllables I mush together and others that I simply say phonetically incorrectly. My speech professor pointed this out today. I can say any "s" word that has a "sch" sound, but then I also incorporate that when I say "str" words. I sound very un-academic, so I am working on this. I think if I just say the Hebrew letter tsade in my head before saying words like straight, strangle, strange, etc I should be alright. It's ok to poke fun at me... apparently, I already ask questions in a funny tone of inflection, so it's all good fun.

Bookstore. Here at PTS we have a great bookstore. Students get discounts on various books, and we always have the most up to date translations and newest books. Today, however, I had to buy a book that I cannot even read yet! The Bible... in HEBREW. I mean, I could pronounce and read it, but as for translating it into something I understand... well, that will come with time. Anyway, the best thing about this bookstore trip was a book called The Presbyterian Handbook for Pastors. A chapter shown below: How to Avoid Getting Burned at the Stake. Check it out:



PC(USA). I have found that being part of the PC(USA) means that you get to have all kinds of fun in the forms of various challenges in seeking ordination that other denominations do not get to encounter. I knew this before coming to seminary. But most of these requirements are things I would want to do anyway: CPE, year-long field ed, Hebrew/Greek, respective exegetical courses. It feels good to start planning how I am going to fulfill these requirements and when. It is all very, very exciting.

Preacher Friends. ...and a lot of them. I went to a worship service led by one of my colleagues today. It was really great! Oftentimes, when I am at dinner, in class, or just hanging out with friends, I think: this is the future of preachers, teachers, leaders, missionaries, and chaplains! How lucky am I to be in such company?! Bottom line: I LOVE this place!

What a wonderful day, despite the gloomy weather! Thanks be to God!

Oh, and p.s. I would strongly recommend the African American Heritage Hymnal for all kinds of worship! Check it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment