"What then are we to say about these things? If God is for us, who is against us?"

Saturday, December 17, 2011

What I've Really Learned

Happy Saturday to all of you! Since it's the end of the semester I've been thinking about all that I have learned, and how much I grew after 15 weeks at seminary. It's quite astonishing to think about. According to PTS standards, I am 1/6 (about 17%) done with mastering divinity. Pft, yeah right, as if one could master divinity. As one of my good friends points out, "It is quite the pretentiously titled degree." I could go on and bore you with the vast amounts of factual knowledge I've learned this semester, but I certainly don't wish to bore anyone who takes precious time out of their day to read these blogs (sidenote: I am always willing to have that conversation in person, though). So, instead I will share with you things I've learned (or reaffirmed my knowledge of) outside the realm of academia over these weeks:

Building Vocational Relationships. This is super, super important--being intentional about friendships. Really, this is true even outside of vocations, but it's especially true for future ministers. We are an... umm... 'interesting' group of people--rather specialized in our day to day experiences. And in this community, it seems like there is a common understanding about things. This understanding increases relate-ability, sympathy, and depth of relationships. I cherish these relationships very much, and I am convinced that they will be enduring friendships after seminary.


Authenticity and Transparency. This is hard because it involves vulnerability. It's about being your true self and being comfortable about who you are. Oftentimes, we get caught up in a 'tyranny of shoulds' as a culture, and lose sight of the person we actually are as an individual. Here specifically, there is talk about the Imposter Syndrome. This causes many to worry endlessly. I've learned to embrace my quirkiness and to just be who God created me to be.

Live out your Prayers. I find this to be good advice for everyone. I could explain to you what I mean, but I think I'll just give a few examples of what I'm talking about and you can draw your own conclusions. (1) asking God for patience then practicing road rage; (2) asking God for understanding while being satisfied with ignorance;  (3) [This is the one I used to do before I realized] asking God for discernment but not listening for his word. You can't ask God for something that you aren't willing to live out. I've once heard it put thus, "God has no hands but our own." Also--the book of Ruth is a several good examples of this concept.

Attitude of Gratitude. Be grateful. Ditch any sense of entitlement and "deserving" concepts that you may have embraced. Chances are that you are abundantly blessed--as am I, so take a minute to recognize that, really, this is not of your own doing. You are blessed because of God, because of others, and because of circumstance. It really has nothing to do with your own merit, or hard work, or dedication. And also keep in mind that the "things" that we are blessed with are temporary. Don't get overly invested in "things." Invest yourself in people. Center yourself on God.



Kingdom is here. Concern yourself with the here and now. Look for glimpses of the Kingdom. If you are too caught up in looking for something in the future, you are going to miss what's going on around you. And you can quote Revelation all you want about "...is to come," and that's true, but that doesn't mean that we don't have a job to do here and now. If we're all just waiting for God to fix things, what do you think God's first question is going to be when God comes again? We are the hands and feet of Christ. Let us worry more about the here and now and less about the there and then.

Grace & Love. In my estimation, the two most influential terms when these words become action. They are incredibly important. We are given this amazing gift of grace, and I think that we should also extend this grace on to one another. Favor... even when someone doesn't "deserve" it. And love. This is the greatest commandment, and I can quote Scripture up and down to prove it to you. Love holds people together in the most intimate way. It has an unmatched impact on one's life. From Paul: faith, hope, and love--and the greatest is love.

A note from lunch today. I love kids!

Discipline. This can be hard, but I have found it quite refreshing these last few weeks. Being intentional about things and getting into a nice routine with disciplined activities has been such a blessing. I strive on routine. I do not strive on changing routine. BUT I have changed up things to include more daily activities. For instance, I started a prayer journal this semester (such a wonderful way to unwind your thoughts and concerns). I've also been intentional about praying, devotionals, the gym, sleep, and leisure activities (to balance my studies). Discipline has been extremely helpful for me, and it could be for you also!

Like I've said, I've learned so much this semester! It's been nothing short of marvelous! Perhaps as an end-of-the-year activity, you can also reflect on things you've learned this year! It can put things into perspective before setting goals for next year or making new year's resolutions!

I also want to thank all of you that read my blog! My stats tell me that we just went over the 1,000 pageview mark! Woo Hoo! I am very glad that some of you seem to like it because I truly enjoy writing it! 4th Sunday of Advent tomorrow! Yay!


So, happy advent! (Soon I'll be able to say Merry Christmas!) God Bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment